Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Sat January 1, 2011
New Rules For Officials, ABCs In 2011
The New Year today brings some new state laws with it, including tighter ethics rules for public servants.
Starting today, members of powerful state boards and commissions have to disclose campaign donations they made and any fundraising they did for the officials who appointed them.
State and local ABC boards and their employees are now subject to the same gift bans and ethics rules as other state workers. The new law also limits salaries for ABC board members and managers. And it gives the State ABC Commission the power to set performance standards and training requirements for local boards statewide.
Another new law tightens the disclosure rules for lobbyists and the people who employ them.