Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue September 3, 2013
New Report Seeks Academic-Athletic Balance At UNC-Chapel Hill
A panel of academic and athletic leaders have released a report aimed at re-defining the role of sports on campus at UNC-Chapel Hill. Committee members listed 28 recommendations they hope will help bring a better balance to school and sports on campus.
The suggestions range from ensuring that university leadership assume ultimate responsibility over athletics to cutting the number of hours students devote to competitive sports. The report also recommends that performance audits of administrators and coaches be conducted to assess their leadership.
University officials created the panel in the wake of scandals that led to the firing of ex-football coach Butch Davis and the resignation of former chancellor Holden Thorp. Athletics Director Bubba Cunningham says the report creates the chance for "an extensive dialogue" on the roles of academics and athletics.