Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- VIDEO: Discovered LIFE Magazine Photos Reveal Curious NC Tradition
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu November 29, 2012
NC Reports State's First Flu Deaths Of Season
State health officials report the first two deaths from flu in North Carolina this season.
It is said to be one of the earliest reports of flu deaths the state has seen. Both victims were in the Triad. One was said to be a high-risk case because of age. The other was generally healthy. Zack More is a state epidemiologist. He says both cases show the flu cannot be taken lightly.
Zack Moore: "For most people influenza infections are very unpleasant and may take you of work or take you out of school for a while but these cases are a reminder that sometimes they can result in more severe complications and even death."
The C-D-C in Atlanta says more than 25-thousand people die from flu in this country each year. Health officials say that's why everyone..particularly people with chronic diseases, the very young, the very old and women who are pregnant..should go to a doctor or their local pharmacy to be vaccinated.