Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Thu May 16, 2013
NC Rep. Jones Calls For US To Stop Funding Afghanistan
North Carolina Congressman Walter Jones is among those calling for an end to U.S. spending in Afghanistan.
The Republican from Farmville joined with Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) this week to condemn the Obama administration's continued investments in the country. The U.S. has spent an estimated $600 billion in Afghanistan since 2001. Jones claims a significant portion of that is going to corrupt officials in Afghanistan's government. He also says the military should end its efforts to train Afghan military and law enforcement officers.
"Let some other country do it. Let the Brits go in there and train them. Let the Germans go in there and train them," Jones says.
"I'm just sick and tired of young men and women dying for nothing. It's a failed policy in Afghanistan. I'm sick and tired of seeing the taxpayers paying for their programs when we can't even fix the roads in eastern North Carolina."
Jones called on President Obama to withdraw troops immediately. The president has said most military forces will leave Afghanistan by the end of next year.