Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- [VIDEO] Dinosaur Theft Suspects Turn Themselves In, Authorities Say
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Comcast 'Embarrassed' By The Service Call Making Internet Rounds
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Sun June 22, 2014
NC Pooch Takes Title As 'World's Ugliest Dog'
It's that time of year again when dogs with unusually large heads, hairless bodies and other oddities compete to be the World's Ugliest Dog.
This year's winner? A 2-year-old mutt named Peanut, whose wild white and brown hair, bulging eyes and protruding teeth belie his sweet, energetic personality.
Although Peanut is healthy now, his owner, Holly Chandler of Greenville, NC, says he was seriously burned as a puppy, resulting in bald patches all over his body.
Chandler hopes Peanut's victory will help raise awareness about animal abuse.
"We're trying to use him as a poster child for what can happen to animals who are abused," she said.
She plans to use the $1,500 prize to pay for other animals' veterinary bills.
The contest, held at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma, California, is in its 26th year.
Business & Economy