Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- A North Carolina Pie That Elicits An 'Oh My God' Response
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Tue August 5, 2014
NC Has 12th Most-Expensive Mortgage Closing Costs
A new national survey shows mortgage closing costs are rising across all 50 states.
Holden Lewis is a mortgage analyst for Bankrate.com. He says North Carolina ranks as the 12th most expensive state.
“Mortgage closing costs went up this year about five or six percent compared to last year. And lenders say that the reason is regulation,” Lewis said.
“You know, now they have to actually prove that you are able to repay the mortgage, which, believe it or not, they didn't have to do before and that takes more staff time and therefore costs more money.”
Lewis says the survey included origination fees, legal costs and appraisals. He adds the fees can vary, so he recommends home buyers shop around.