Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed August 29, 2012
Names Of Deceased Come Off Wake Voter List
A citizens group has gotten some names cleared off Wake County voting rolls because they belong to people who have died.
Gurnal Scott: The Voter Integrity Project of North Carolina brought a list of 386 names before the Wake County Board of Elections. It said state health records showed those people have died. Elections staff confirmed it. Jay Delancy of the Voter Integrity Project says they succeeded because they were persistent.
Jay Delancy: I don't know if Gary Bartlett will admit it but this is a direct result of our prodding them through these challenges.
Bartlett is executive director of the State Board of Elections. He says there was no prodding needed because a process is in place.
Gary Bartlett: We check death records monthly..and certainly we do not catch them if they are not on the D-H-H-S list.
In fact 12 names on Delancy's list could not be confirmed because they died outside North Carolina. Delancy says his group's effort isn't over. He brought more than 600 new names of people he believes are dead. And he says they're finding many more.