Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed April 13, 2011
Michelle Obama at Camp Lejeune
First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are due at a celebration for 40 expectant mothers at Camp Lejeune this morning. The visit is part of a 2-day national tour and comes a day after Mrs. Obama announced a new initiative to support military families. The non-profit Operation Shower is hosting the event. LeAnn Morrissey, creator of Operation Shower, says she started the group as a way to give back to those wives whose husbands are fighting overseas.
LeAnn Morrissey: "You know, they deserve a baby shower just like every other mom who might be with family and friends, and maybe these moms aren’t. And the added stress of a deployment on top of that and worrying about your spouse who’s deployed. I would just encourage people to, even if it’s not with Operation Shower, that they think would be a great way to give back to the military families then to do it, to try it, and see what happens. You never know, and I think everything’s appreciated."
Operation Shower held its first unit-wide shower at Fort Bragg in June of 2007.