Most Active Stories
- NC State Student Uncovered Neck Bone Of Biggest Dinosaur Ever
- NC Women Reclaim The Pinup Photo
- LISTEN: ‘Thirsty’ Might Not Mean What You Think It Does
- 'Breathtaking' Images Discovered Of A 1950s Shoeshine Competition In North Carolina
- Duke University Application Adds Question About Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Tue April 15, 2014
Merge Turns 25 in Durham
It's a big year for Merge Records. The Durham-based label is celebrating its 25th birthday with a series of events, which has included concerts, limited release recordings and a 25K run.
Mac McCaughan and Laura Ballance founded the label in Chapel Hill to promote their band, Superchunk. A quarter-century later, dozens of other celebrated artists have jumped on board, including the Grammy-winning Arcade Fire.
Some of Merge's long-time fans are maturing and starting families, so the label is working to accommodate them with their summertime events. McCaughan says in addition to hosting late-night concerts, some performances will start earlier in the evening. The Merge 25 festival schedule can be found here. Duke Performances will also host live music in Duke Gardens.
The Durham Bulls baseball team will host Merge Night, June 5th. Mount Moriah's Heather McEntire will sing the National Anthem and Mac McCaughan will throw out the first pitch.