Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed October 12, 2011
McFarlane Wins Raleigh Mayoral Race
Raleigh voters have elected the city's first new mayor in a decade-- City Council member Nancy McFarlane.
McFarlane beat Billie Redmond and Randall Williams with 61 percent of the vote. She says she's thrilled to be the city's next leader.
Nancy McFarlane:" It's a huge honor and it's very humbling to know that that many people have faith in you. It's also very exciting to know that that many people share a vision of Raleigh and where we're going to go. "
McFarlane is an entrepreneur who says she plans to continue the city's downtown revitalization program started by Raleigh's current mayor, Charles Meeker. She says she wants to help more small businesses open in the city and work to revitalize neighborhoods beyond the downtown area.