Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri March 16, 2012
March Madness for College Start-Ups
It’s March Madness for college basketball fans. But teams of student entrepreneurs gathered in Durham this week for Start-up Madness.
Niki Kohari: Can you guys feel the March Madness in the air!
Leoneda Inge: Nineteen Start-up Madness teams tipped off in Durham, representing schools in the ACC. Clemson’s “Mushroom Mountain” was lucky enough to make the Elite Eight. The University of Virginia’s I-pod talking “Tee Gee” doll shined in the Final Four. But when the buzzer sounded – The University of Miami Hurricanes won with “Cohealo.” Mark Slaughter says his company designs collaborative infrastructure to help improve health care system continuity.
Mark Slaughter: The biggest problem in health care right now is inefficiency. And it’s particular with hospital systems. They’re operating as individual facilities in a health group and they’re not interconnected. So there’s a ton of waste and a ton of inefficiency.
Slaughter walked away with a check for five thousand dollars.