Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu June 26, 2014
Listen: This Doctor Tried To Save A Boy With The Ebola Virus
The World Health Organization has reported the largest outbreak of Ebola ever: more than 330 deaths in western Africa, and the number is rising. Dr. William Fischer is an infectious disease specialist at the UNC School of Medicine. He has just returned from Guinea, the epicenter of the outbreak. Fischer admits he was scared at first. He wore protective clothing and a mask that made him look more like an astronaut than a physician.
When asked about one of his most memorable experiences, he told this story:
Read more stories from Dr. Fischer's blog, Dispatch from Guinea: Containing Ebola.
Business & Economy
The State of Things