Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu April 10, 2014
“Liberating Dixie” Traces 50 Years Of Southern Life
Ed Williams spent almost half a century writing for newspapers in Mississippi and North Carolina. His journalism career started at The Daily Mississippian and continued through 35 years at The Charlotte Observer.
But after he stopped writing for daily papers, he wanted to take stock of everything he had seen and heard throughout his career. His book "Liberating Dixie" (Lorimer Press/2013) chronicles 50 years of southern history, politics and culture through a collection of his writings. Host Frank Stasio talks to Williams about his career.