Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue April 10, 2012
Legislative Committee Votes To Limit UNC Health Care
A legislative committee has voted to recommend limiting the size of UNC Health Care.
Jessica Jones: A House study panel voted earlier today 8 to 7- to place more oversight and restrictions on the University of North Carolina health care system. The bill would prevent the system from expanding without the General Assembly's approval. The move comes as WakeMed hospital and UNC Health Care's Rex hospital continue to be involved in a very public dispute. WakeMed has complained that Rex is competing unfairly in the same Wake County market. In 2011, WakeMed offered to buy Rex for 750 million dollars. During today's committee meeting, a representative withdrew a bill calling for Rex to be sold. UNC Health Care officials say the changes passed by the committee today would damage the system. But the bill would need much more support in the legislature to pass. Senate Rules Chairman Tom Apodaca says it will not succeed in his chamber