Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- VIDEO: Colbert Claims To Be A Tar Heel After Sister Loses SC Congressional Race
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Fri April 22, 2011
Durham-based band Humble Tripe is the musical project of Shawn Luby. After years spent playing classical guitar in competitions, Luby retired from the world of music at the age of 20. He moved from Kansas to North Carolina, working first at a nonprofit, then as a clinical lab scientist. Once he entered his 30s, his desire to play music returned and he formed Humble Tripe with his friends.
Employing unusual instrumentation, raw lyrics, and Luby's delicate voice, the band plays a form of classically-tinged, folky Americana that has endeared them to fans across the area. Band members Shawn Luby, Jess Shell, and Stud Green join host Frank Stasio to talk about their music, friendship, and why it's never too late to start a band.