Most Active Stories
- Viral Video: 'XMas Jammies' Features WNCN Anchor Penn Holderness And His Family
- DOT Secretary And SELC Director Debate Bonner Bridge
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- The Case Against Multivitamins Grows Stronger
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Mon January 21, 2013
How NC Celebrates MLK Jr. Day
Residents across North Carolina observe the Martin Luther King Junior holiday with calls to service and celebrations. In Greensboro, city officials host a breakfast today ahead of other holiday events. Greensboro human relations spokesman Robert Nunn says the breakfast helps residents remember the city was in the middle of the Civil Rights Movement in the early 1960s:
"Greensboro has a long history of civil rights, and so this is just kind of one more thing that the community does, comes together, recognizes the history of civil rights in Greensboro, and also to commemorate Dr. King's legacy and his work in civil rights."
The Town of Cary hosts service projects tonight after residents join today's march in Raleigh. The Martin Luther King Junior holiday coincides with President Obama's second inauguration in Washington.