Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport
- A North Carolina Pie That Elicits An 'Oh My God' Response
- The “Lost” Recordings of an Overlooked Banjo Great
- Dozens Say NC's Proposed Rules For Abortion Clinics Are OK, But A Few Disagree
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue October 29, 2013
History, Other Majors Could Cease At ECSU
Elizabeth City State University could drop several common degree programs such as history, political science, physics and philosophy. An ECSU faculty member, who asked not to be named, confirmed staff has been told several programs are on the chopping block.
The elimination of these programs would be a cost-cutting measure. Across the UNC System schools have been asked to look at programs that have low enrollment. The faculty member said the school’s enrollment estimates are low because they don’t accurately count double majors. ECSU has about 25-hundred students and the most popular majors in 2012 were business, education and law enforcement. ECSU is an historically black college.
Calls to the schools and the UNC System for comment were not returned.