Most Active Stories
- 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- North Carolina Teachers Learn About Undocumented Immigrants Through Remarkable Story
- Teens Help Turn Abandoned North Carolina Prisons Into Farms
- Global Warming Skeptic Fills Science Seat On Coal Ash Commission In North Carolina
- Take A 3D Virtual Tour Of Proposed Light Rail From Durham To Chapel Hill
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tiny Desk Concerts
Sat July 26, 2014
Highasakite: Tiny Desk Concert
Originally published on Sat July 26, 2014 3:37 pm
My first time seeing this Norwegian band was at a fairly soulless convention center in Austin, Texas. They transformed that big, open room into an intimate affair. So having them perform at the Tiny Desk, an already intimate space, was a thrill. It was also the first appearance of a flugabone here. Kristoffer Lo plays that mournful horn and Ingrid Helene Håvik compliments the yearning with words that are mysterious, somewhat dark and contain surprising twists.
The song titles on their 2014 album Silent Treatment seem more like chapter headings in a crime novel. "Leaving No Traces," "I, The Hand Grenade," "The Man on the Ferry," "Science & Blood Tests" — you get the picture. But this band has a powerful pop side filled with drama made of drums, synths, guitar and the aforementioned flugabone and voice. So glad I get to turn you on to a new favorite of mine.
- "The Man on the Ferry"
- "Since Last Wednesday"
Producers: Bob Boilen, Denise DeBelius; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Videographers: Denise DeBelius, Olivia Merrion; Production Assistant: Becky Lettenberger; photo by Olivia Merrion/NPR