Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri August 31, 2012
Helping Hats In Reeds Spring, Mo.
Sophia Greenwalt, 13, is the founder of Helping Hats, a fundraising program in the Reeds Spring School District. Once a month, students and staff can wear a hat to school for a dollar donation. The money raised that day goes to a non-profit organization in the community.
In 2012, Sophia has gotten nine local businesses on board to match the money raised by the school. Helping Hats has raised more than $20,000 for organizations such as the Joplin School District (after a devastating tornado), the Humane Society and others.
Nettie Greenwalt is Secretary at Reeds Spring Elementary School and Sophia's mother. Nettie listens to KSMU.