Most Active Stories
- Viral Video: 'XMas Jammies' Features WNCN Anchor Penn Holderness And His Family
- DOT Secretary And SELC Director Debate Bonner Bridge
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- The Case Against Multivitamins Grows Stronger
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue March 12, 2013
With Heavy Caseload, Public Defender Works 24/7
Travis Williams talks with Dick about the heavy caseload he carries in Hall Country, Ga. The promise of a free attorney was established 50 years ago in the Supreme Court’s ruling of Gideon v. Wainwright. Williams says he represents people he might normally avoid; an open racist, for example. But he says people value their freedom more than those kinds of beliefs. Travis Williams is featured in Gideon's Army, a movie opening the Full Frame Festival on April 4.
Then, Dick speaks with Al Flora, the chief public defender in Luzerne Country, Pa. He started declining new cases for his office because he feels his staff of lawyers have such a heavy workload they might have to take shortcuts.
To hear the audio for these interviews, visit The Story's website. Also in this show: A young man in a youth residential facility calls home to speak with his family.