Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Thu June 2, 2011
Greensboro Unveils New Amphitheater
Greensboro city officials will cut the ribbon for a new amphitheater today. The venue is located on the southern part of the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The amphitheater's capacity holds about 2,000 more people than Raleigh's new downtown Amphitheater. Andrew Brown with the coliseum says an amphitheater was a natural choice for the complex.
Andrew Brown - "part of the coliseum footprint here, there was an old Canada Dry bottling plant on that property and there was some land surrounding the plant. And as we cleaned it up and cleared out some of that growth and the trees and those kinds of things, and there was a natural amphitheater shape there. And at that point, we began to go forward with the idea to use that, again, to bring a new venue to this complex and give us more opportunities to generate revenue."
The grand opening concert takes place Sunday, when The Beach Boys take the stage.