Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Thu June 2, 2011
Greensboro Unveils New Amphitheater
Greensboro city officials will cut the ribbon for a new amphitheater today. The venue is located on the southern part of the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The amphitheater's capacity holds about 2,000 more people than Raleigh's new downtown Amphitheater. Andrew Brown with the coliseum says an amphitheater was a natural choice for the complex.
Andrew Brown - "part of the coliseum footprint here, there was an old Canada Dry bottling plant on that property and there was some land surrounding the plant. And as we cleaned it up and cleared out some of that growth and the trees and those kinds of things, and there was a natural amphitheater shape there. And at that point, we began to go forward with the idea to use that, again, to bring a new venue to this complex and give us more opportunities to generate revenue."
The grand opening concert takes place Sunday, when The Beach Boys take the stage.