Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu August 16, 2012
Gov. Jim Martin To Lead UNC Academic Review
A former governor will lead an investigation into academic irregularities at UNC Chapel Hill.
Gurnal Scott: The panel that will look into academic fraud involving more than 50 classes taken by athletes that had laxed academic oversight will be led by former Governor Jim Martin. In a blog post, Chancellor Holden Thorp said he and UNC System President Tom Ross believe the investigation and Martin's leadership of it is an important step in rebuilding the confidence he wants students to have in the school's academic integrity. In addition to Martin's leadership, Thorp is asking national management firm Virchow, Krause and Company to help draft a report for the Board of Governors. Thorp has also tapped Hunter Rawlings, president of the Association of American Universities or the AAU to look at the school's future relationship between academics and athletics. The review is to begin immediately.