Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- VIDEO: Colbert Claims To Be A Tar Heel After Sister Loses SC Congressional Race
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu August 16, 2012
Gov. Jim Martin To Lead UNC Academic Review
A former governor will lead an investigation into academic irregularities at UNC Chapel Hill.
Gurnal Scott: The panel that will look into academic fraud involving more than 50 classes taken by athletes that had laxed academic oversight will be led by former Governor Jim Martin. In a blog post, Chancellor Holden Thorp said he and UNC System President Tom Ross believe the investigation and Martin's leadership of it is an important step in rebuilding the confidence he wants students to have in the school's academic integrity. In addition to Martin's leadership, Thorp is asking national management firm Virchow, Krause and Company to help draft a report for the Board of Governors. Thorp has also tapped Hunter Rawlings, president of the Association of American Universities or the AAU to look at the school's future relationship between academics and athletics. The review is to begin immediately.