Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Fri June 10, 2011
A Gift for the Village
When artist Jane Lillian Vance went to Nepal and met Tsampa Ngawang, she entered an ancient world. Ngawang is a kind of doctor and mind healer called Amchi and is the repository of Tibetan medical knowledge passed down through the ages. Vance decided to make Ngawang a lineage painting: a work of art meant to honor the achievements of a prominent person in Tibetan culture.
The documentary, “A Gift for the Village,” chronicles Vance’s work and her trip to Nepal to present her painting to Ngawang and his community. The film will be screened June 14th in Smithfield, North Carolina at the Frank Creech Art Gallery.