Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Around the Nation
Tue June 18, 2013
Is That Gas I Smell, Or Cinnamon?
Originally published on Tue June 18, 2013 1:52 pm
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep. A special odor is added to natural gas. You know that smell meant to warn you of possible trouble? Last weekend, New York officials added an odor to mask the odor. They were fixing a pipeline in Harlem, and didn't want a flood of 9-1-1 calls over gas leaks that weren't considered dangerous because they were in the open.
So they masked the smell by adding cinnamon to the gas. We have no word if area coffee shops sold out of rolls.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.