Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 18, 2012
Bill Friday's condition is improving. But the former UNC system president still remains in critical condition at UNC Hospitals.
Dave DeWitt: Friday has been in the hospital since Wednesday. The short statement released by his family today does not give a specific reason for Friday's illness, but does say his condition has improved slightly thanks to the placement of a permanent pacemaker yesterday. The 91-year old Friday received a heart valve replacement in 2009. The statement from the family thanks friends for their support and asks for privacy. Friday was president of the UNC system for 30 years, the longest tenure of any university president in the 20th century.