Military
5:01 am
Fri April 12, 2013

Fort Bragg Cancels 4th Of July Celebration

Credit Fort Bragg

Fort Bragg has held its annual 4th of July celebration for more than three decades. The event that Parade Magazine placed on its 2011 'bucket list' of essential American experiences has been canceled.  Post officials say sequestration cuts that took effect last month forced the move.  Spokesman Tom McCollum says the celebration has been a popular tradition.



"This decision was extremely difficult for the command to make because we know what a large impact this has on our community," McCollum said.   "And it's not just the Fort Bragg and Fayetteville community.  Basically I'm talking about the eastern half of North Carolina and obviously down into South Carolina.  A lot of soldiers who are stationed here bring family from throughout the country just to see this festival."

Army officials are faced with a 136-million-dollar cut in their North Carolina operations.  They've reduced hours at the post's special forces museum and canceled cable TV at base fitness centers.  Officials say the future of the 4th of July festival is uncertain beyond this year.