Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue May 13, 2014
Former State Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco Dies
Former state Commerce secretary Keith Crisco has died. The Democrat faced American Idol contestant Clay Aiken in the Second Congressional District.
Last week, Crisco said in a statement that he was waiting to see final vote tallies in the primary. It wasn't clear then whether the race was close enough for him to request a recount or whether there would be a runoff.
Crisco was behind Aiken by a few hundred votes, according to unofficial totals. A Democratic strategist says Crisco was planning to concede the race to Aiken today.
The former commerce secretary reportedly died in a fall at his home. He was Secretary of Commerce under Democratic Governor Bev Perdue. Keith Crisco was 71 years old.