Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue May 13, 2014
Former State Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco Dies
Former state Commerce secretary Keith Crisco has died. The Democrat faced American Idol contestant Clay Aiken in the Second Congressional District.
Last week, Crisco said in a statement that he was waiting to see final vote tallies in the primary. It wasn't clear then whether the race was close enough for him to request a recount or whether there would be a runoff.
Crisco was behind Aiken by a few hundred votes, according to unofficial totals. A Democratic strategist says Crisco was planning to concede the race to Aiken today.
The former commerce secretary reportedly died in a fall at his home. He was Secretary of Commerce under Democratic Governor Bev Perdue. Keith Crisco was 71 years old.