Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Sat July 20, 2013
Filing Deadlines Finalize Mayoral Candidate Lists Throughout North Carolina
Today was the candidate filing deadline for several area mayoral races. Mayors in Durham, Raleigh and Greensboro will faces challenges in their bids for reelection.
In Durham, current mayor Bill Bell will be running for re-election with challenges from East Durham minister Sylvester Williams and Michael Valentine, a current member of the Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee.
Raleigh mayor Nancy McFarlane is running for re-election and will be challenged by real estate broker Venita Peyton and chiropractor Robert Lewis Weltzin. And in Greensboro, Mayor Robbie Perkins will run against investment adviser George Hartzman and Greensboro City Council member Nancy Vaughan.
But in Chapel Hill, Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt will be running unopposed for his third term.
Primaries will be held in those four cities October 8th. The mayoral elections take place November 5th.