Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon April 1, 2013
Federal Investigators At UNC This Week
Federal investigators will be at UNC-Chapel Hill this week. They are on campus to investigate claims that the University under-reported sexual assault cases.
The investigation stems from a complaint filed by three current students, a former student, and a former administrator. They say UNC-Chapel Hill violated the Clery Act by under-reporting the number of sexual assault cases in 2010.
"This is an issue as I have said many times before that goes directly to the ability of our students to feel safe and succeed academically and it is a core function of the university to get this right," said UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Holden Thorp.
UNC administrators have denied that the University under-reported sexual assault cases. The investigation is separate from another one being conducted by the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights into the mishandling of sexual assault cases, although both were prompted by complaints filed by the same five women.