Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri March 18, 2011
FDA Panel Advises Against Menthols
An FDA panel says removing menthol cigarettes from the market would benefit public health. The Food and Drug Administration advisory panel stopped short of recommending an outright ban on menthol cigarettes. But its report released earlier today says the minty flavoring in menthols makes it harder for smokers to quit.
Lorillard Incorporated manufactures Newport cigarettes- the top-selling menthol in the country and a popular product among African-Americans. Lorillard said in a statement they're not surprised by the panel's conclusion, but they disagree with its findings. The panel advises the FDA on scientific issues, and the agency is expected to provide a progress report on the future of menthol cigarettes in 90 days.