Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri March 18, 2011
FDA Panel Advises Against Menthols
An FDA panel says removing menthol cigarettes from the market would benefit public health. The Food and Drug Administration advisory panel stopped short of recommending an outright ban on menthol cigarettes. But its report released earlier today says the minty flavoring in menthols makes it harder for smokers to quit.
Lorillard Incorporated manufactures Newport cigarettes- the top-selling menthol in the country and a popular product among African-Americans. Lorillard said in a statement they're not surprised by the panel's conclusion, but they disagree with its findings. The panel advises the FDA on scientific issues, and the agency is expected to provide a progress report on the future of menthol cigarettes in 90 days.