Most Active Stories
- Political Flyer With Photo Of Lynching Distributed At North Carolina Church
- 'Masses' Of Sharks Near Shore On Carolina Coast
- Photos Of Same-Sex Marriage Celebrations Around North Carolina
- Academic Fraud At UNC: Athletes Directed Toward Bogus Classes
- 'Too Good To Be True' - Hundreds Of NC Schools Offer Free Meals To All Kids
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri March 18, 2011
FDA Panel Advises Against Menthols
An FDA panel says removing menthol cigarettes from the market would benefit public health. The Food and Drug Administration advisory panel stopped short of recommending an outright ban on menthol cigarettes. But its report released earlier today says the minty flavoring in menthols makes it harder for smokers to quit.
Lorillard Incorporated manufactures Newport cigarettes- the top-selling menthol in the country and a popular product among African-Americans. Lorillard said in a statement they're not surprised by the panel's conclusion, but they disagree with its findings. The panel advises the FDA on scientific issues, and the agency is expected to provide a progress report on the future of menthol cigarettes in 90 days.