Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed January 9, 2013
Fayetteville Police Department Chooses Medlock as New Chief
A new chief has been hired for the Fayetteville Police Department.
Harold Medlock accepted the job as top cop in Fayetteville today. He appeared at a news conference with his wife to be formally introduced as chief. Medlock comes to Fayetteville from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department where he served as deputy chief. He says he won't begin his new duties until mid-February.
Medlock is the permanent replacement for Tom Bergamine who retired last summer. Bergamine came under fire shortly before stepping down when his department was accused of racial profiling. Since that time, Katherine Bryant has served as interim chief. Medlock's biography indicates he first became a Charlotte officer in 1979. He said during the news conference that being Fayetteville chief is a highlight of his career.