Most Active Stories
- Viral Video: 'XMas Jammies' Features WNCN Anchor Penn Holderness And His Family
- DOT Secretary And SELC Director Debate Bonner Bridge
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- The Case Against Multivitamins Grows Stronger
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue July 31, 2012
Fallen Soldier Will Be Remembered in Raleigh
A funeral service will be held in Raleigh Memorial Auditorium tomorrow morning for a soldier who died in Afghanistan.
Jessica Jones: Specialist Darrion Hicks was killed by a roadside bomb on July 19th south of Kabul. He was deployed there from Germany a few months ago to help find buried explosives. Hicks was a graduate of Raleigh's Broughton High School, where he was a member of the junior ROTC program. He belonged to the school's drill team and color guard and was an active community volunteer. Hicks was known for his technical repair skills in Broughton's auto shop- skills that came in handy in the Army, where his battalion specialized in military engineering tasks from bridge building to demolitions. He was assigned to the 54th Engineer Battalion, 18th Engineer Brigade. His viewing will be held at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium tomorrow morning at 9. The service is scheduled to begin one hour later. Hicks was 21 years old.