Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri August 26, 2011
Evacuations Going Smoothly
Highways leading out of coastal communities are jammed with people evacuating ahead of Hurricane Irene.
From Cape Fear to Elizabeth City, two-and-four lane roads are packed with vacationers, displaced residents, and motorists trailing boats. All are headed for higher ground.
Sergeant Jeff Gordon is with the State Highway Patrol.
Jeff Gordon: "Right now the evacuation is going very well. we do not have any problems. we have deployed a number of people in advance. we have a comprehensive plan in place and we have the staff that's necessary to affect that. so we're just not experiencing any problems at this time."
Many evacuees are ending up at hotels along I-95. The Red Cross is also opening up shelters in 12 counties starting this afternoon.