Most Active Stories
- Raleigh Viral Video: 'Xmas Jammies' Close To 11 Million Youtube Views
- Durham Police Use Tear Gas To Break Up Protest Of Teen's Death
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- How Did #NotYourAsianSidekick Become The Place To Talk About Race and Stereotypes Online?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Wed January 18, 2012
Enhancing Raleigh's Innovative Spirit
The city of Raleigh, NC State University, and private companies are holding a one-day Innovation Summit today. Their goal is to enhance the capitol city’s reputation as a place for tech startups.
Dave DeWitt: Outside of Silicon Valley, few areas of the county have as strong a reputation in tech startups as the Triangle. But research Triangle Park and Durham provide much of the basis for that high-ranking. Now, Raleigh is trying to get into the act.
The summit is also an example of a growing entrepreneurial relationship between the city and NC State University. Growing and enhancing that relationship is one goal of the summit. Others include more successfully and consistently branding Raleigh as a City of Innovation and planning a physical space for startup companies.
Attracting more venture capital is also high on the list of goals. Along those lines, organizers have scheduled a “geeks and suits” mixer at the end of the summit.