Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Mon August 26, 2013
Emergency Specialist Reflects On Life's Work During Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina
In 1985, Madhu Beriwal was conducting hurricane research for the state of Louisiana. She charted possible directions and outcomes that different storm conditions would bring to New Orleans. Looking at the atlas in 2005, Beriwal said it almost perfectly predicted the severity of Hurricane Katrina.
Today Beriwal heads Innovative Emergency Management, a private emergency response company that focuses on homeland security, natural disasters and evacuation support. Host Frank Stasio talks with Madhu Beriwal about her life and research in emergency management.