Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed January 5, 2011
Ellmers Sworn In
North Carolina's newest Congresswoman, Renee Ellmers, was sworn in Wednesday along with the rest of the 112th Congress. Ellmers, who's a Republican, defeated longtime Democratic incumbent Bob Etheridge in the 2nd district. This is the first elected office she's ever held. She says all the pomp and circumstance is great, but she's ready to get to work. Her first priority is repealing the President's healthcare reform bill.
"The American people have spoken. The November election said that the American people want real reform in Washington," says Ellmers. "They want to decrease the amount of Washington in their lives. And I think that we are all gonna be very committed to that."
Ellmers has been appointed to the Foreign Affairs, Agriculture, and Small Business committees. She's already under fire from critics for attending a high-dollar fundraiser in Washington Tuesday night.