Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Around the Nation
Thu January 17, 2013
Electric Bikes Make Auto Show Appearance
Originally published on Thu January 17, 2013 11:11 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep. Walk a street in Beijing and you'll likely hear a whirring noise as an electric bicycle glides past. They're common in China. One auto maker wants to make them more common here. The makers of tiny Smart cars put an electric bike on display at the Detroit Auto Show. People at that show can also find bikes with pedals, like the Toyota Prius-branded bike.
We will know bikes are really catching on when some auto maker displays a bike SUV. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.