Eight Things To Do On This Labor Day Weekend
By Carol Jackson • Aug 28, 2014
Courtesy of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources, here are eight ideas for the long weekend:
- Thursday: The North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort will lead a kayak tour of the area.
- Thursday: Meet a duck decoy craftsman and see how he works at The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras.
- Friday: Browse the N.C. Museum of Art galleries after dark, with music by Peter Lamb and the Wolves.
- Saturday: Tryon Palace in New Bern reenacts the duel between political rivals John Stanly and Richard Dobbs Spaight.
- Saturday: Historic Stagville in Durham teaches visitors the cooking techniques that enslaved African Americans once used.
- Saturday: Watch the award-winning drama 12 Years a Slave in the open-air at the N.C. Museum of Art.
- Saturday: Last chance to check out the Bull City Summer exhibition at the N.C. Museum of Art.
- Monday: Tryon Palace in New Bern, Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo and the Battleship North Carolina in Wilmington will all be open for business. (Most other museums are closed for the holiday.)
Look at the Department of Cultural Resources' calendar for a complete listing of weekend events.