Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Fri January 13, 2012
Edwards Trial Delayed Again
The trial of former North Carolina Senator John Edwards is being delayed again. From Greensboro, Jeff Tiberii reports a serious medical condition is the cause.
Jeff Tiberii: Judge Catherine Eagles cited two letters from cardiologists in issuing her continuance. The trial was set for January 30th and is now delayed until at least March 26th. The two-time presidential candidate was diagnosed with a serious, unspecified, ailment in early December. It will require a medical procedure next month and his doctors say starting the trial on time could hinder his treatment and recovery. The specific condition was not detailed in open court. Mr. Edwards was in court and did not appear to have any obvious limitations. The judge has asked for a medical update from the defense by February 28th and says she wants to finish the trial by start of this summer. It was last summer that Edwards was indicted on six counts of campaign finance violations. If convicted, he faces up to 30 years in prison.