Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Tue July 3, 2012
Duke Energy Finalizes Merger
Duke Energy is now the largest utility in the country. But the company is moving forward without its expected leader.
Gurnal Scott: Duke Energy held a conference call with reporters to mark the merger's completion. And board member Anne Maynard Gray had another announcement.
Anne Maynard Gray: Bill Johnson has resigned as president and chief executive officer of the combined company by mutual agreement with the board.
Gray didn't give any specifics but credited Johnson with playing a major role in the merger process. New CEO Jim Rogers says he realizes there are those in the new company who are loyal to Johnson.
Jim Rogers: We have a very experienced team from both companies. And I look forward to working with everyone to integrate this company.
Duke Energy cleared its last regulatory hurdle when South Carolina approved the merger plan yesterday.