Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Fri August 3, 2012
Duke Energy Announces Rate Cuts
Duke Energy announced its first in a series of rate cuts.
Leoneda Inge: Duke Energy and Progress Energy promised if the companies were allowed to merge they would implement millions of dollars in utility rate cuts one month after the merger was approved. The first round of cuts comes to about 89-million dollars.
Inge: Yeah, I was just about to say, it’s about a dollar a month, hugh?
Tom Williams: It’s about a dollar month, but you know we have just begun this process
Tom Williams is a spokesman for Duke Energy. He says they are able to make cuts equating to a dollar a month per customer because the newly merged company can demand fuel at a discount. The merger agreement says customers can expect 650-million dollars in rate cuts over the next five years. The utilities commission still has to approve the cuts.