Most Active Stories
- LISTEN: How A Refrigerator Gets Into A Manhole, And Other Raleigh Sewage Secrets
- Global Warming Skeptic Fills Science Seat On Coal Ash Commission In North Carolina
- Take A 3D Virtual Tour Of Proposed Light Rail From Durham To Chapel Hill
- North Carolina Doctors’ Rap About Urgent Care A Hit
- North Carolina Women Seek Their Rightful Place In The Meat Business
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Wed June 18, 2014
Driving The American Dream
The 1957 Chevy was once the American Dream on wheels. It represented the easy life with backyard barbecues in suburban neighborhoods. But over time, its meaning has changed along with American values.
A new book, "Auto Biography: A Classic Car, An Outlaw Motorhead, and 57 Years of the American Dream" (HarperCollins/2014), examines the evolution of American ideals through the lens of a 1957 Chevy and its 13 owners.
Host Frank Stasio talks with author and journalist Earl Swift. Swift is reading at Chapel Hill Public Library on June 26th at 4pm, McIntyre's Books on June 27th at 2pm and Quail Ridge Books on June 27th at 7pm.