Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Fri November 23, 2012
Did you Know the White House Xmas Tree is From NC?
First Lady Michelle Obama will be on hand to receive the official White House Christmas tree today. The White House tree and the trees in the Vice-President’s residence are Fraser Firs from North Carolina. Paul Smith is president of Cool Springs Nursery in Banner Elk, where they grow 600 acres of Fraser Fir.
Paul Smith: "So this is, kind of where GOD put Fraser Fir and so Fraser Fir grows best here."
Smith says the land in western North Carolina where his Christmas trees grow is like a cool rain forest. Those perfect conditions probably had a lot to do with why Cool Springs was chosen to send three Christmas trees to Vice President Biden’s residence and beyond.
Paul Smith: "We’ve shipped trees to Russia, Aruba, South America and all points east of the Mississippi."
The official White House Christmas Tree came from Peak Farms in Jefferson.