Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed November 9, 2011
Democrats Regain Majority On Wake School Board
Democrats have regained control of the majority on the Wake County School Board. Incumbent Kevin Hill defeated Republican Heather Losurdo in a runoff election last night.
Looking worn out and even slightly embarrassed, Kevin Hill greeted supporters last night after the final votes were in.
In the most expensive Wake School Board race in history, Hill defeated Losurdo by just four percentage points. He is the fifth Democrat to win this election season – a strong rebuke of the Republicans who held the majority the last 2 years.
Hill hopes the new Board can put partisan politics behind them.
Kevin Hill: "Well I hope what the election means for the school system is that we’ll have 9 board members who can come together and work as a team, take politics back off the table and try to make decisions that will be best for all students and all schools."
Hill says he hopes to tweak the new student assignment policy to make sure students from low-performing areas can choose high-performing schools.