Most Active Stories
- Raleigh Viral Video: 'Xmas Jammies' Close To 11 Million Youtube Views
- Evelin Huerta: 'My Brother's Death Is Still A Mystery'
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- How Did #NotYourAsianSidekick Become The Place To Talk About Race and Stereotypes Online?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed November 9, 2011
Democrats Regain Majority On Wake School Board
Democrats have regained control of the majority on the Wake County School Board. Incumbent Kevin Hill defeated Republican Heather Losurdo in a runoff election last night.
Looking worn out and even slightly embarrassed, Kevin Hill greeted supporters last night after the final votes were in.
In the most expensive Wake School Board race in history, Hill defeated Losurdo by just four percentage points. He is the fifth Democrat to win this election season – a strong rebuke of the Republicans who held the majority the last 2 years.
Hill hopes the new Board can put partisan politics behind them.
Kevin Hill: "Well I hope what the election means for the school system is that we’ll have 9 board members who can come together and work as a team, take politics back off the table and try to make decisions that will be best for all students and all schools."
Hill says he hopes to tweak the new student assignment policy to make sure students from low-performing areas can choose high-performing schools.