Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- The Complex Identities Of Some Of America's Most Famous Black Men
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Fri August 3, 2012
T.C. McCarthy was deterred from his dream of writing at every step. A commencement speaker told him to ditch it and a college creative writing program laughed at his attempts to write science fiction. McCarthy eventually did abandon English for science, but he never gave up his dream of being an author. After working for the U.S. Patent Office and the CIA, his dream finally came true.
He’s the author of the Subterrene War Trilogy, a sci-fi series that just wrapped up with the recently published "Chimera" (Orbit/2012). McCarthy joins Frank Stasio in the studio to talk about his struggles and success.