Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri June 8, 2012
Chapel Hill To Get Its First Magnet School
The Chapel Hill - Carrboro school district will get its first magnet school school in 2013. But not all parents are happy about it.
Dave DeWitt: The Chapel Hill - Carrboro School Board voted 5 to 1 to turn Frank Porter Graham Elementary into a magnet school. It will offer a Spanish-English Dual Language program.
Some parents at Frank Porter Graham had opposed the change. Parents at other schools that will lose their dual language programs also fought the decision.
But School Board members say they chose to create a magnet school so that students in all parts of the district would have an equal opportunity to participate in a dual-language program. The School Board also decided to continue offering a Chinese dual-language program at another elementary school.