Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri June 8, 2012
Chapel Hill To Get Its First Magnet School
The Chapel Hill - Carrboro school district will get its first magnet school school in 2013. But not all parents are happy about it.
Dave DeWitt: The Chapel Hill - Carrboro School Board voted 5 to 1 to turn Frank Porter Graham Elementary into a magnet school. It will offer a Spanish-English Dual Language program.
Some parents at Frank Porter Graham had opposed the change. Parents at other schools that will lose their dual language programs also fought the decision.
But School Board members say they chose to create a magnet school so that students in all parts of the district would have an equal opportunity to participate in a dual-language program. The School Board also decided to continue offering a Chinese dual-language program at another elementary school.