Most Active Stories
- It's Final: UNC Board of Governors Votes To Close Academic Centers
- Stranded At School: Chapel Hill-Carrboro Lets Out Before Buses Can Hit The Road
- The Life, Legacy, And Science of "Queen of Agrobacterium" Mary-Dell Chilton
- Snowstorm Knocks Out Power For Thousands - Black Ice Threat Through Friday Morning
- Brian Blade Brings 'Praise From The Heart' to Chapel Hill
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri June 8, 2012
Chapel Hill To Get Its First Magnet School
The Chapel Hill - Carrboro school district will get its first magnet school school in 2013. But not all parents are happy about it.
Dave DeWitt: The Chapel Hill - Carrboro School Board voted 5 to 1 to turn Frank Porter Graham Elementary into a magnet school. It will offer a Spanish-English Dual Language program.
Some parents at Frank Porter Graham had opposed the change. Parents at other schools that will lose their dual language programs also fought the decision.
But School Board members say they chose to create a magnet school so that students in all parts of the district would have an equal opportunity to participate in a dual-language program. The School Board also decided to continue offering a Chinese dual-language program at another elementary school.