Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Thu June 14, 2012
Changes Coming To UNC Board Of Governors
The latest round of UNC system Board of Governors meetings start today. The meetings may get heated, as the Board weighs in on an academic scandal and elects new leaders.
Dave DeWitt: The UNC Board of Governors has tackled difficult issues this year, like tuition increases. But they’ve also drawn criticism for taking a hands-off approach to the ongoing academic fraud controversy in UNC-Chapel Hill’s Afro-American studies department. That department’s chair committed massive academic fraud that again shined a light onto the academic integrity of student athletes, who filled many of the independent study classes at the heart of the scandal. The full Board of Governors has not discussed the issue, but they are expected to do so this week. Also on the agenda are Board chair and vice chair elections. In the past, those elections have been relatively tame. But they may be more contentious this time with the majority of Board seats in Republican hands for the first time and several candidates having expressed interest in the leadership positions.