Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon December 9, 2013
Carrboro Is Planning A New ArtsCenter Building
The public is invited to weigh in on plans to build a new Arts and Creativity facility in downtown Carrboro.
Officials with the current ArtsCenter and the town hope to replace the existing building on a neighboring piece of property over the next five years.
Art Menius is the Executive Director of the ArtsCenter. He says there's a desire for more than performance space and classrooms.
“There's a great deal of interest in Carrboro in incubating, supporting our creative economy and creative industry and figuring out ways that artists and creative businesses can flourish in Carrboro,” he said.
Menius said the center needs more space to serve the community properly.
“We're in a 1955 strip mall that was rehabbed in 1987,” Menius said. “In the evenings when art school is really happening and in the summer here in summer camp for the kids, we simply do not have the space to do the programs that we want to do.”
Menius says the ArtsCenter served nearly 90,000 people in the last fiscal year.
Tonight's public meeting will be held at 7:30 at the Carrboro Town Hall.
The State of Things