Most Active Stories
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Host, "All Things Considered"
Executive Producers and Hosts, "The People's Pharmacy"
Host, "Morning Edition"
Changing Economy Reporter
Digital News Editor
Back Porch Music Announcer & Operations
Host / Reporter
Fletcher Fellow for Education Policy Reporting
Assistant News Director
Host, "The State of Things"
Greensboro Bureau Chief
Web Producer & Back Porch Music Host @keithweston
Wed March 5, 2014
Carl Kasell's Curious Connection With Another Broadcasting Legend
Carl Kasell and Charles Kuralt have a curious connection.
- They both call North Carolina home.
- They both attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the 1950s.
- As students, they both worked to start what became one of the powerhouse NPR stations in the country, North Carolina Public Radio - WUNC.
- They both had illustrious careers in broadcasting. (Kasell was the voice of NPR news for 30 years, and is the straight/sometimes funny man on the popular weekend show Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! Kuralt gave CBS Sunday Morning its distinct feel. His "On the Road" segments landed journalism's highest award, the Peabody twice.)
- They even share the same initials.
Here is some radio gold: audio of that WUNC-FM sign on skit from 1953:
Carl Kasell Retires
Arts & Culture