Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue November 29, 2011
'Canes Hire New Coach
Eric Hodge: The Carolina Hurricanes have a new coach. Kyle Muller has been chosen to lead the Triangle’s only major sports franchise. Dave DeWitt reports.
The Canes entered the season hoping to battle for the southeast division title in the NHL – or, at least, make the playoffs. But after winning just 8 of their first 25 games, the Hurricanes have the second-worst record in the division. That led team management to fire head coach Paul Maurice.
General Manager Jim Rutherford says it’s time to make a change.
Jim Rutherford: "Even in years we haven’t made the playoffs and even those years we’ve come close, we’ve been very fortunate with character guys that wanted to win at all costs. And at this point in time this group of guys don’t."
Rutherford picked Muller after considering other candidates within the organization. Muller is a former NHL All-Star whose latest job was coaching the Milwaukee Admirals in hockey’s top minor league.
He will be tested right away. The Canes play the Southeast Division leader Florida Panthers tonight in Raleigh.